The Night Gwen Stacy Died

Saturday, April 4, 2015


I've noticed that whenever an outfit has a slight resemblance to a fictional character June and I get SO excited.  So instead of accidentally channeling a character, I decided I would intentionally draw inspiration from a fictional persona.  The Night Gwen Stacy Died marked a change to the history of comic books since it dealt with a super dark event and showed that superheroes can't always save the day.  The outfit Gwen wore in that issue has become pretty infamous in the comic and cosplay communities.  It's so easily recognizable that when shots of Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy were leaked before The Amazing Spider-Man 2 we instantly knew that Gwen's movie fate wasn't looking' too good.  

Mixing green and purple is normally a color combo I would never think to wear....because I'm not a huge fan of wearing green or purple individually, let alone together.  Also, it's Spring in Georgia, which means it's already 80 degrees so a coat and boots were not going to make an appearance in my outfit.  I always have fun getting dressed in the morning, but I think there was an added level of fun this day knowing that I was secretly playing dress-up.  My intention was never to cosplay or directly copy this outfit, but instead to take inspiration and make it my own from pieces in my wardrobe.  I won't lie--I did wish that I had a lab coat with my very own Oscorp name tag.  Also, don't let the red hair fool you...I'm totally a Gwen and not a MJ. ;)

Purple Pencil Skirt - Free People | Black Top - Similar | Mint Sweater - Belk
Tights - Target (Similar) | Black Heels - Old

Are your outfits ever inspired by fictional characters or pop-culture? 
 If so, tell me about it!

15 comments:

  1. Sarah Mae EriksenApril 4, 2015 at 10:50 AM

    Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie HuddlestonApril 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM

    I'm reading Vonnegut right now too! Galápagos for the second time! I love Cat's Cradle, one of my favorites!! And you look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stealing this. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cosplay but I also Disneybound, which is wearing outfits inspired by Disney characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Possibly a silly question to ask you but have you been reading Spider Gwen? I managed to pick it up a month or so ago when I was in Forbidden Planet in London. Really enjoying it and think its going to be a good all round comic series :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I had SO much fun shooting these pictures and putting together this outfit.



    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Melanie! Ahh, I love Galapagos! Vonnegut is my favorite author. I could read his works over and over again.


    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing people's Disneybound outfits! I try to do the same concept, but for Universal Studios since I have season passes.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, babe! I actually haven't! I told Michael last month that I wanted the first view issues as a birthday present. I know the premise, and I'm super super excited for them. They sound awesome!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously cool spot to source outfit inspiration from. You did a fantastic job of replicating her this look.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope at DisneylandApril 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM

    So cool! I do draw inspiration from fictional characters. I didn't realize it had a name until a few years ago when I started hearing about "disneybounding" and found the site. I think it's fun. When it's not disney, I end up calling it some sort of "bound" but the intention is the same. My favorite is when people pick up on the subtle reference and we share a geeky "I know what you are" moment. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silver Cat Tea PartyApril 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM

    lol! Spot on! <3

    ReplyDelete